Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Current quilt

Today I got out my current unfinished quilt.  I have pictures of it along the left side with the other completed projects.  This quilt I put away because of the binding issue, meaning to come back to it when I was in a better state of mind.  It is approximately 40x50, and backed with black velvet squares.  It is tied (most of it) with black DMC thread.  Around the edge, it has a 'sidewalk' of 4.5x2 pieces, embroidered and sewn in a straight border.  (I took those pieces to work and worked on the embroidery at lunch--all the women in the lounge stopped by periodically to see how I was coming along).  Originally, that 'sidewalk' was 18x2.  But the pattern of it has been used in one other quilt, and it was cut down in the process.   The other quilt it was used in had 5 parallel lines of the sidewalk, positioned so it would go sideways across the quilt when it was laid on the bed--it was a twin.  Most of mine are throws.  The squares of the sidewalk quilt are 10x10.  I used to do 12x12 always, but now 10x10 just seems to work better for me.  Another option is to just divide the size you want--be sure and have a calculator--but the very first time I did it that way I forgot seam allowance, aargh!  Usually I don't have to be a certain size, so just working by the square measurements is good.  The inside border is of red velvet, and the interior pieces are  really just this and that and the other.  Here's a tip for corners--I got samples of various fabrics.  At most fabric stores, they can cut a 2' strip for a customer for a sample, and for free.  The inside border was about 2 inches.  I am very proud of it.

I also have pics of the cloak for my son I mentioned--just as an interest to someone.  It was one of those ideas that just came to me for a use for that animal print fabric.  I really wanted to use the fabric and not throw it.  I actually have been know to throw fabric away now--I've improved--hoarders of fabric, unite!

No comments:

Post a Comment